Background
I think I write four
individual reflective papers this year, including this one. Before that, I was
studying Human Resource management bachelor degree at Hong Kong Baptist
University, I never write individual reflective at that time, only once, a
professor request all student to complete one page form about teammates’ group project
performance, and it is only some option need to tick.
Now a day, I figure out
the reflective writing is so important for my future. And I want to work on
Human Resource filed after graduating, and that was the reason I choose both of
my degree and master major related to Human Resource, and I think the MsCOM is
not my last learning opportunity. Maybe after a few years later, I would
continue study other Master Degree or Doctor Degree. Then, I could keep me in
touch with developing knowledge or concept of Human Resource field.
All we know, Human
Resource management was a part of management science, all professors taught me
about some management knowledge and concepts, even though the professor through
take a story method impart knowledge to us, I mean they would mix his-her real
work experience with HR concept to let me understand. Sometimes, it was also
hard to understand, it was like talk about stratagems on paper.
So it is not last for me to realize the benefit the
Reflective writing. I could make me think about connection between the
theoretical aspects of my learning and my real life experience In the future.
The semester timeline
At the course of “High
Performance Collaboration”, I choose to group a team with Rena and
Jewel, because I was not collaborating with them at other course, I just random
select two of them. All we know, different people had different personally, it
will make them have different method to deal with work. I want to collaborate
with different people at different course, it can let me have a chance to learn
how to deal with different personally.
We usually through QQ,
Wechat, and E-mail to communication with others, but when we need to get
together to deal with team project, we will choose to face to face
communication, because it is easy for us to have a discussion about the professor’s
requirement. Before group meeting, each of us will brainstorm about the title
and background of our project, and each of us also will search some information
to support our idea. At the meeting, each of us will share individual idea to
others. At this part, we ever met task conflict, Rena and I think own
idea was good, each of us had research document to support the idea was viable,
finally, we through vote to choose the idea. All of us were agree to use jewel’s
ideal to do the group project. I think when face this conflict, we use compromising
style to deal with the conflict. Because the team project need everyone's
efforts, so I had to give up my own ideal, to follow the minority is
subordinate to the majority rule.
After the brainstorm part,
we will set the outline of our team project. The outline will include the subtitle
of the content, and we also will discussion together to write down what main
information should in the subtitle. Even though this part will last for few
hours, but if all of us was clearly understand the content of all project, we
just need to find some relative theories and academic journal to prove the content.
Because the setting
outline will last for few hour, we met some task conflict. For example,
our blogger two was related to furniture design industry, because I and jewel
did not learn any course which related to design, and Rena was learning interior
design. When we face some confusion about function of design, sometimes I and
jewel will use own common sense to explain the function, then, Rena will use
her learning knowledge to correct. Because her professional knowledge earn the
trust of us, so all of us want to solve the conflict together. I think this
method exactly was collaboration style.
After we set the project
outline together, we also set a deadline for all of us. It was about one week
later. Then, each of us will send own aspect to the rest of teammates, and we
will help other to double check the grammar and logic problem. At this part, I met
process conflict with jewel. She found some logic problem in my part,
then, I also made some change to let my article more logical according to jewel’s
requirement. After that, she asked me to change again, but I already did it. We
had an argument that time. But the team project was related to our final score,
I had to check my article again. Now, I think I use competing style to
solve the conflict, because the team project needs three of us together to
finish, when face conflict. I must do something which was benefit for the team project.
We did a High
quality project
At the end of the semester, we did the final project,
and I think our group completed a high quality project.
First, each of us tried to help other find the problem
of the article, even though we met some conflict at this time, we all believe
the double check can make our team project perfect.
Second, we did the project according to the
requirement of Professor. And his requirement was so detailed, so it let us
spend more time to find more academic journal to prove our project.
Third, we used a lot of concept, not only the theory
which covered at the course, we also find s lot of theory from library database.
High performance
collaboration team
First, we met some a lot of conflict during the
semester, but all the conflict was focus on the work itself; and each of us did
not put personal emotion or bias on other teammates.
Second, each of us was caring about our project, and
we were willing to give up personal interest, to try our best to do the project
together.
Third, after class, we will have group chat in pacific
coffee, sometimes; we would have a dinner or go to KTV together.
We built a friendship among three of us, not just
group teammates.
We had
creativity idea
Besides, I also think we were full of creativity, at
the blogger assignment two presentation, it was the last presentation in this
course, so we want to use more creativity method to present our topic. Not only
the Frank required all students to creativity, but we need to change, and we
never did it at the whole master degree. So we use a role play method to
present, Rena was the boss of our company TREE, I and jewel were designer. We present
through two assume company meeting to deliver our topic in the class. And we
got high identity with Professor Frank. I think it is not only our creativity
presentation way, but we did an entirely analysis about our project topic and
deliver to classmates.
Summary
I think I got high performance collaboration with Rena
and Jewel, and I also learn a lot of knowledge about the collaboration. I also
realize if I want to successful, I need to learn how to collaboration with
teammates, I also need to have Independent working capability. I think it is
important In the future.
Reference
l G. Richard Shell.
Bargaining Styles and Negotiation: The Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument
in Negotiation Training. Negotiation Journal. April, 2001: 155-174. Nonaka,
Ikujiro (1991), "The knowledge creating company", Harvard Business
Review 69 (6 Nov-Dec): 96–104.
l N. Venkatraman - John C.
Henderson (1998), “Real Strategies for Virtual Organizing”, Sloan Management
Review, P33-P48.
l Algert, N.E., &
Stanley, C.A. (2007, September). Conflict Management. Effective Practices for Academic
Leaders, Vol. 2(9), pp. 1-16.
l Algert, N.E., &
Watson, K. (2002).Conflict Management: Introductions for Individuals and Organizations.
The Center for Change and Conflict Resolution. Bryan, TX.





